Minor Injury and Illness Unit at St Mary’s NHS Treatment Centre
We can provide a fast, convenient service for those who have a minor injury or illness.
Our team of multidisciplinary practitioners can offer treatment, advice and information for a range of minor injuries and illnesses. Our waiting times can be considerably less than emergency departments and we work with our local emergency department to help patients make the appropriate choice for the care they need.
If you’re unsure of where to go and require further advice, please call 111. In an emergency, always dial 999.
We offer flexible opening hours to our patients
- Mon-Fri: 7:30am-10:00pm
- Weekends and bank holidays: 8:00am-10:00pm
The unit is open to all NHS patients, no appointments required.
GPs are on site between 10.00 -14.00 and 16.00-20.00.
The majority of patients can be seen and treated by our skilled nurse practitioners and paramedic practitioners. We will assess your clinical need and allocate you to the appropriate clinician.
Who we treat
We treat both adults and children, and we have a separate children’s waiting area with play facilities and children’s TV.
What we treat
We provide assessment and treatment for the following conditions:
- Suspected broken limbs
- Minor head injuries
- Strains and sprains
- Minor illnesses
- Cuts and grazes
- Bites and stings
- Minor scalds and burns
- Ear and throat infections
- Minor skin infections and rashes
- Minor eye conditions
- Coughs and colds
- Emergency contraception
- On site plaster and X-ray facilities
We are unable to help with:
- Serious medical emergencies posing an immediate threat to a person’s health or life
- Serious head injury – loss of consciousness
- Accidental or deliberate overdose of drugs
- Severe allergic reaction
- Severe blood loss
- Pregnancy related conditions
- For these conditions, you should attend your local Emergency Department, or dial 999.
Where to find us
We are located next to St Mary’s Health Campus, on Milton Road, Portsmouth.
If you have any concerns or queries about the change to our service please refer to our FAQs.